The Tour de Chesapeake is so much more than just a ride around a small town on a Saturday. We have lined up a whole assortment of things for everyone (including non-riders) to do before, after and during the ride too. We hope you will make a weekend of it and see all Mathews has to offer.
Friday, May 15, 2015:
10 a.m.-7 p.m. – Local merchants on Main Street keep their doors open late for your convenience.
5-6:30 p.m. – East River History Tour by Chesapeake Bay Boat Tours – $40 per person, max 6 passengers – Tour the East River’s historic homes and waterfront, explore the world of oyster aquaculture and even learn how to shuck the Chapel Creek Oyster – To register, contact Capt. Trey at 804-815-6132 or email@example.com. www.chesapeakebayboattours.com
7:00 p.m. – Mathews Film Society will present TBA. Third Floor of the Halcyon Building, 40 Court Street, $5 suggested donation
Saturday, May 16, 2015
9 a.m.-1 p.m. – Farmers Market – located on the Court Green – Fresh veggies, breads, muffins, soup, granola, and more – grown and made in Mathews!
10 a.m.-5 p.m. – NEW AND IMPROVED 4th Annual “ART deTOUR” – More than a dozen local artists and home business owners will gather at Williams Wharf to show off their creations and wares. Purchase special treasures from their vast and varied collections! **SATURDAY ONLY
10 a.m.-7 p.m. – Visit our local merchants for some excellent shopping on Main Street and beyond (see Local Shopping); Free art demonstrations at Put-In Creek Carvings, Main Street, 725-3326; Buy fresh local seafood from Island Seafood, Risby Town Road, Gwynn’s Island (725-4962, Open Sat 9-5) or from Joey on Main Street – Just look for his truck (yes, we’re serious; it’s as fresh as it gets and you’ll have a good story to tell your friends!)
5-9 p.m. – SATURDAY NIGHT SEAFOOD FEAST AND PARTY AT THE WHARF – Williams Wharf Landing, Rt. 614
- FREE ADMISSION AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
- Fresh seafood by Merroir. Choices include TBA. Available for purchase on site – this company takes credit cards.
- Beer, Wine and soft drinks by the Mathews Rotary Club – Cash only please
- Entertainment/Dancing provided by “Lynda Smith & 7th Street”
Sunday, May 17, 2015
EAT WITH US – FOOD OPTIONS
6:30-8:30 a.m. – Coffee and Donuts available at THMS (donation requested to benefit local church)
Try our new Sunrise Pancake and Waffle House on Main Street next to Mi Casa Azteca! OR try one of our local restaurants open for breakfast on Sunday – Seabreeze on Gwynn’s Island, Lynne’s Family Restaurant, Route 14/198, Hardee’s or Subway. Southwind Pizza is now open for Sunday Brunch at 9 a.m. For Restaurants open later, see “Local Eats”.
PLAY WITH US – ACTIVITIES OPTION
9-10:15 a.m. – Ride Recovery Yoga in the Halcyon Building (corner of Main and Church Streets) – Enter from Court Street; 3rd Floor; $12 fee; bring a yoga mat or towel; reservations not necessary; call 804-854-1769 for more information.
9-10 a.m. – East River History Tour by Chesapeake Bay Boat Tours – $35 per person, max 6 passengers – Tour the East River’s historic homes and waterfront while enjoying a complimentary cup of premium coffee – To register, contact Capt. Trey at 804.815-6132 or firstname.lastname@example.org. www.chesapeakebayboattours.com
“No Frills Rides” – Ride routes not yet experienced like Gwynn’s Island (Gwynn’s Island Museum) or Mobjack (The Poddery)
Sunrise to Sunset – Launch your own personal kayak, canoe or any non-motorized watercraft from the floating docks at Williams Wharf Landing (Route 614 – 804-725-9685) and take a nice tour of the East River and Mobjack Bay. www.mathewslandconservancy.com
See Mathews by Water – www.visitmathews.com for opportunitiess
TAKE US HOME – SHOPPING OPTIONS
Noon-4 p.m. – Visit the Mathews Co. Visitors Center and Put-In Creek Carvings on Main Street, as well as other local merchants (see Local Shopping)
COME BACK TO SEE US – MATHEWS COUNTY EVENT INFORMATION
1) Mathews Market Days – Annual hometown festival held on the Friday and Saturday after Labor Day each year. Craft booths, Food, Games, 5K Race, Entertainment, Poster contest, Bake/Craft/Canning Contests and more! Website, 804-725-7196
2) Gwynn’s Island Festival – Held the last Saturday in June each year. The annual Chicken Dinner is Friday night from 4-7 p.m. and Festival Activities take place on Saturday from 9 a.m.-3:45 p.m. For information, call Cricket Call at 804-725-7577.
3) Virginia’s Longest Yard Sale – Held the Saturday after Memorial Day each year from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Over 20 locations around Mathews take part selling antiques, collectibles and treasures you never knew you needed! Maps and information are available at the Visitor Center. Call for details 804-725-4229.
4) Open Studio Tour – Held the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving each year from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Over 12 of Mathews’ leading artisans invite you to experience the intimate spaces and places that inspire their vast and varied collections of art. Visit www.madeinmathews.com for details.
5) Williams Wharf Landing – This “gem” of Mathews is owned by the Mathews Land Conservancy and hosts a variety of events annually, such as Crew Regattas, Open Water Swims, Running Races, Sailing Camps, Summer Outdoor Concerts and much more. Visit www.mathewslandconservancy.com for event lists.
Visit www.visitmathews.com and click on community calendar for a full list of County happenings